Friday, January 7, 2011

How To Achieve The Seaside Look

Everyone loves the seaside, so why not bring that relaxing, calm,serene, feeling of being at  the beach into your home.This look can also be inexpensive to achieve.The seaside look can be created  by using muted wall colors.These colors can range from the colors in the sky, blues, aquas, and greys,to the color of the sand, tans,and cream colors.Your color inspiration can also be taken from a seashell, or a beautiful piece of sea glass.

There are so many color choices when you look at sea shells or sea glass to get wall color inspiration.

Furniture should be easy to care for. A slip covered sofa looks wonderful, also chunky or distressed cottage style furniture helps achieve this look.


I love this room! The combination of the sisal rug against the dark wood floors looks marvelous.There is a casual, yet formal feel.
.

Stripes Always work. I love the navy and white against the dark wood furniture. Classic look.

  
     Your  flooring choices should be  wood flooring  paired with easy care sisal or sea grass rugs to complete this relaxed look. When I brought our sea grass rug home, the smell of the sea grass was so over powering, it took at least a week for the smell to go away. So, if you have allergies, a sisal or jute might work better for you



Accessorizing your rooms is what grounds the room and completes the look . Please be careful doing this. Less is more! I know it's easy to go crazy with all the seaside and coastal accessories, but remember you are trying to make a statement. Here are a few Do's and Dont's  when you are accessorizing.
Don't  buy  themed vinyl shower curtains....please. Instead , Do opt for a classic stripe, a geometric, or a light and breezy solid color.

This beautiful aqua geometric curtain would look great in ANY bathroom.


Enough said..... Don't  you think? 


Don't use tacky themed lamps in your livingroom.


Do,  opt for classic urn style lamps. Or....
 A metallic lamp that makes a subtle seaside statement.

Do , display your treasures in a pretty bowl or apothecary jars.


Do choose a piece of art that anchors the seaside style.


This framed nautical chart is one of my favorite pieces, the chart belonged to my father.My mom gave myself and my siblings  some of his charts after he passed away. My husband had it framed for me for Christmas. I love it so much it has his markings on it,plus it is from CT where we spent most of our time on the water.
I have several others and plan on re purposing them too.




































4 comments:

Leo said...

I LOVE the urchin lamp. So pretty....!!

Seaside Style said...

Thanks Debbie, It is from William Sonoma

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Love that shower curtain! Where is it from!

Anonymous said...

Do you know where the items are from in the second picture? (The living room) I love the rug and the pillows.