Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Beach House Dolphin Sign

If you have been following my blog, then you already know how I adore Dolphins. I did a post a while back entitled Dolphin Love, in that post I showed  a photo of a  carved wooden Dolphin sign. I absolutely love it. I  shared on my Facebook page that a friend of mine made a wooden whale . When I told her I wanted to make a Dolphin she said "Do it"!

I started with a piece of Cedar we had. I am putting it outside, so it had to withstand the weather. I forgot to take the picture of the drawing on the wood, before we cut it out...whoops.




This was my inspiration.


           Drew the pattern of the dolphin, and hubby used the Coping saw, to cut it out. A Jig saw can be used   but the blade broke on it, so we had to use a Coping Saw .


   I primed the little fella with some Kilz primer, not sure if I should have used it or not, but I did.


I used Cabots Federal Blue exterior stain to stain it,  I had to keep wiping excess off wait for it to dry and distress, I had to paint and repaint the white part of the body to get the lower part of his belly right.



After several attempts of trying to paint the eye, this is how he turned out.




I continued to distress the wood until  I was happy with it. It is going to be hung outside, I haven't figured  out what I want to use yet, sisal, jute, wire, or chain. so until i decide, it sits here. Any suggestions? Cost of the project......5.00 for the stain.

7 comments:

michelle said...

AHHHHHHH YOU DID IT!!! I LOVE IT!!! You clever girl he/she looks amazing!! I have never used a coping saw, did your hubby think it was easier than a jig saw? As far as hanging I guess it depends on where you put it outside. If it is going to be in the elements I would go for chain so it holds against the winds, if it is going to be cover then you can use anyone, they will all look great!!
SO CUTE!!!!
XOXO

laxsupermom said...

It looks amazing! I'd love to see it hung with sisal or jute if it'll be buffeted from wind. I like your dolphin better than your inspiration one. Yours looks happier and more playful. Thanks for sharing and for linking up to my Before Blogging party.

Coastal Health and Home said...

Beautiful job!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

This is so cute! Love it! He will be perfect for a beach inspired room. Thanks for sharing. Dropping in from Before Blogging Party. Have a nice day!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

The enchanted home said...

Wow great job...I am most impressed. Perfect for beach decor!

Leo said...

You did an awesome job. THis came out great. I would hang it with rope.

Completely Coastal said...

How fabulous!!! I actually like yours better than the inspiration sign, much slimmer and more dynamic.