Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shrimp and Grits

South Carolina's estuary system provides an over abundance of shrimp,crab, and fish. I have become spoiled by all that is available to us here on the coast of South Carolina..Shrimp and Grits is a very old and true low country recipe."Breakfast Shrimp" as it  used to  called, was a fisherman's source of nourishment in the morning, before they went out fishing during shrimp season.Shrimp and Grits aren't just for breakfast anymore. It is often seen on a bruch menu and  is frequently offered on dinner menus in restaurant's  True Southerner's are very persnickety when it come to their grits. Don't offer them any of those instant grits.they will look at you in disbelief. Me, i don't know any better and they work just fine for me. Bobby Flay's recipe below is wonderful.....and, yes... I do use instant Grits!

4 cups water


Salt and pepper

1 cup stone-ground grits

3 tablespoons butter

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined

6 slices bacon, chopped

4 teaspoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

1 cup thinly sliced scallions

1 large clove garlic, minced

Directions

Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.



Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. In grease, add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.



Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Makenzie said...

That's what my Mom is cooking tonight! I love the new design, I never got a chance to stop by over break, I was SOO busy working! Is it easy to figure out to do or no?

Extra! Extra! Blog All About It said...

You are a woman after my own heart! I luuurrrvvveee shrimp and grits and thanks to your recipe, I can make it myself! I might even feel like a gourmet cook while doing so.

Thanks!

XO,
Kimberly